bildungsroman
Monday, July 23
The human aspects in literature and film never fail to intrigue and captivate me. Even more so, in novels and movies which give a greater emphasis to the character development of the protagonist.
I was pleasantly surprised to find this said aspect in the reboot of the
Spiderman franchise, since it is primarily an action movie. I would've expected them to briefly go over his characterisation as a formality, and excitedly skip along to spam the screen with brawls, stunts and explosions --- anything that'd allow a director to fulfil his boyish desires of causing mass chaos and destruction. Instead, we were treated to scenes depicting events which moulded Peter Parker's character, and contributed to bringing out the hero in him --- a far more human approach in their telling of the story, as compared to the original trilogy.
I have massive respect for writers and directors that bring more to an action movie than just action, such as the afore mentioned
The Amazing Spiderman, as well as
The Dark Knight. To add the human dimension to action movies isn't necessary at all, but it really makes them so much better, just because --- well --- it adds another dimension altogether, one that allows the audience to think in response. We often see the protagonist in predicaments, for example in the case of
Spiderman, seeing the thief kill Uncle Ben and later saving the boy on the bridge. The way he responds to them defines his character, and ultimately refines him into being a hero (or in Batman's case, a dark knight). I find this fascinating --- seeing the turning points and defining moments in someone's life that contributed to where he presently is.
Even in real life, this too fascinates me. I guess it's just that part of me which seeks to know and understand my friends better. Oh, what I could give to know the stories of experiences which moulded my friends into the people they are today. As with the heroes, our response to trials that are sent our way is what can make us stronger or simply sink deeper. Unfortunately, opportunities for such conversations are hard to come by. After all, I don't imagine myself suddenly rattling off in conversation about my defining moment, hahaha, so I can't expect others to do just that either. But still, knowing these things just gives you that much deeper an appreciation and understanding of your friends' perspectives and personalities, and why they think the way they do. In fact, these are our testimonies. And I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on the power of our testimonies.
I don't know where this post is going; probably why it's also so unorganised. There wasn't a major purpose to it in the first place, I guess, haha. But I was really so fascinated with how I was so fascinated with
The Amazing Spiderman (heh complicated sentence, but yes, no typos there), and had to figure out exactly what it was about the movie that fascinated me! But yes, things that define us in our coming-of-age, somewhat like a
bildungsroman, is something I'm so curious to find out about others. Hopefully some opportunities arise (:
AMEN;
12:21 am